State Student Association Development
State Student Associations are networks of student governments across a state or a university system. They are able to pool their enthusiasm, skills, and resources to have a larger statewide impact on higher education issues. For example:
- The two SSA's in Minnesota, the Minnesota State College Student Association and the Minnesota State University Student Association, recently worked together to win the highest ever state allocation to their shared university system, MnSCU.
- The Arizona Students Association worked with their system board of regents to adopt a textbooks policy that will significantly decrease the cost of textbooks.
- The Oregon Student Association registered over 50,000 students to vote in the 2012 elections.
The Student Empowerment Training Project supports students who work with State Student Associations throughout the evolution of the association:
1) The SET Project supports students working to start a State Student Association from the beginning.
We have provided support to students in South Carolina, Texas, Missouri, Massachusetts, New York, Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, Washington, and New Jersey. Specifically, we can provide advice on organizational structure, funding mechanisms, building support among campuses and administrators, working with fellow SGA members to build the association, and SSA best management practices.
2) The SET Project supports students working with young State Student Associations.
As student leaders develop new programs and projects, the SET Project will provide support and advice. We can help states develop entire statewide campaigns that benefit all students, we can run trainings that benefit student governments from many campuses, and we can provide part-time or full-time staff for associations in the transition period before hiring their own.
3) The SET Project supports students and staff who run established State Student Associations.
The SET Project historically has coordinated advanced trainings for students and staff of established SSA's. Recently we provided support to the California State Student Association in running their largest field campaign in years to broaden the state's key financial aid program.